Friday, October 6, 2017

About a Work of Mine

So, this blog doesn't have a very specific purpose, and I've previously resolved to talk about my writing on here, even with a lack of readers.  So, I'm going to talk about what I consider to be my 'primary work'.  I've been working on it for around nine months, and it's called Element Unlocked.  This title will not remain to completion; it's more of a prototype name.  In fact, the title doesn't even fit anymore because the original vision has evolved to an unrecognizable state.

All of my attempted works follow that pattern, really.  They develop over the years, and my writing improves to a point where I hate what I wrote four months ago, so I have to continually rewrite everything over and over, and I never get anywhere.  The same thing's already happened twice in the past nine months for this story, but I'm really happy with how the idea developed, so I'm hoping I can continue on this layout for awhile.

Anyway, the story opens by introducing you to a heroine - you could debate about whether she's the heroine - by the name of Savannah Briar.  She doesn't have very much in the way of aspirations, or friends, or anything, really.  She doesn't excel at much, and she just kind of hops through the days without paying much attention to her surroundings - it took her all day to remember that it was her last school day - and she's often unhappy.  The thing about this story is that it focuses on characters' thoughts a lot.  That's one of the main points of the story - to provide insight into the minds of its characters - but I think it might come across as somewhat boring.  So, Savannah meets another girl named Sierra (no last name is provided) while 'lamenting the sky.'  Sierra is obviously an odd girl, she doesn't display much emotion - if any at all - but Savannah becomes interested in her somewhat.  The reasoning for this isn't outright stated, but I can tell you that the reasoning is because Sierra approached her first, and no one had ever approached Savannah with such friendly intentions before.

Savannah and her younger sister Lily end up running from their home after their mother disappears - presumed suicide - with no following change in their father's behavior.  Savannah and Lily are at a loss for where to turn, but Sierra's guardian Doctor Blakeman - Blakeman refers to Sierra as his assistant - extends a hand to them, offering to provide them a place to stay if they'll help him with his work.  Savannah is suspicious of this at first, but Sierra trusts Blakeman wholeheartedly, so she agrees.  Blakeman, Sierra, Lily, and Savannah leave the town and arrive at Angstrom City, and the 'work' in question is never explained.

Blakeman and Sierra's 'work' seems to be along the lines of solving the odd problems that crop up in the city, usually with a good measure of deductive work, but by and by it comes out that the two have some kind of more far-reaching goal - and Savannah is tied up in it.

I don't want to reveal any more of the plot than that; but if you're interested you can ask to read the current iteration of Chapter One and wait for me to publish the book in its entirety, whenever it is that it gets finished.

I'll talk about Iceta Alefa next, that's another idea in-development.

No comments:

Post a Comment